Professor Delroy Louden: Installation as President of Anguilla Community College
Professor Delroy Louden, Ph.D., FRSPH was installed as the first President of Anguilla Community College (ACC) on the 30th of March 2012. The installation ceremony which was held at St. Augustine’s Anglican Church was witnessed by academicians, university administrators, business leaders and politicians from Anguilla and other Caribbean island nations. Before assuming duty as the President of ACC, Professor Louden was Professor of Psychology, former department Chair of Psychology, Director of the Office of Research, Development, Planning and Coordination (ORDPC) at Lincoln University.
Prominent among the participants at the installation ceremony were the following:
• The Governor of Anguilla, His Excellency William A. Harrison;
• The Chief Minister of Anguilla, Hon. Hubert Hughes;
• The Anguillan Minister of Education, Hon. Edison Baird;
• Chairperson of the Board of Governors, Rhona Richardson-Roydon;
• President of the Association of Caribbean Tertiary Institutions, Dr. Angela Samuels-Harris;
• President of St. James School of Medicine, Dr. K. Guha;
• President of Miracle International Corporation, Dr. Horatio Louden;
• Jamaican Minister of Foreign Trade, Senator A.J. Nicholson;
• St. Maarten’s Minster of Education, Culture, Sports and Youth Affairs, Dr. Rhonda Arrindell;
• President, University of Technology, Jamaica, Professor Gossett Oliver;
• Pro Vice Chancellor, UWI Open Campus Barbados, Dr. Vivienne Roberts;
• Cerbert Adamson of the Council of Community Colleges of Jamaica;
• Dr. Robert Beck, Chief Academic Officer, Fox chase Cancer Center;
• Theresa Berger, Program Officer, Fox Chase Cancer Center, President and CEO of Global Health Science & Services, LLC;
• Dr. Camille Ragin, Associate Professor, Fox Chase Cancer Center.
Dr. John O. Chikwem, Professor of Microbiology and Immunology and Dean, School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics brought greetings on behalf of the faculty, students and staff of Lincoln University. He praised Professor Louden for his passion for teaching and research while at Lincoln. He observed that because of the experience and numerous contacts of Professor Louden, the Anguilla Community College will always find resources to fulfill its goals and objectives. He promised to continue the friendship and collegiality that was initiated at Lincoln University, and pledged cooperation for a healthy and fruitful relationship between Lincoln University and Anguilla Community College.
In his installation address, Professor Louden emphasized that the philosophy of ACC under his leadership would be “Education is Nation Building”. He stated that his approach is to balance access, equity and success. The hallmarks of his presidency would include:
• Decision making that is outcome or evidence based coupled with accountability;
• Promoting customized degrees;
• Establishing creative and value-driven partnerships;
• Incorporating prior learning experiences;
• Emphasizing program articulation;
• Creating opportunities to retool Anguilla’s workforce, including professionals who need to acquire new competencies in the areas of practice;
• Interdisciplinary learning;
• Emphasizing core competencies; and
• Technical and vocational education.
The week of activities started with a lavish reception at the Governor’s mansion and ended with a befitting Presidential gala.
Congratulations to President Delroy Louden from all of us at Lincoln University.